Create interactive experiences using AR while working with the Unity game engine. Learn the skills you need to create virtual reality games and experiences for your mobile phone or VR headset. Create interactive experiences using AR while working with the Unity game engine. Game design and development are undergoing significant changes as immersive experiences like virtual reality continue to push the boundaries of storytelling, games, and interactive experiences. Students will leave this course with a great introduction to creating in this emerging field. In this course, students learn the skills needed to create virtual reality games and experiences for mobile phones or headsets. They will also create an augmented reality game, melding the real world and digital worlds on their mobile devices. Learn the best ways to use the Unity game development engine and tackle the unique design challenges that arise when building for Virtual and Augmented Reality. Plus, you’ll explore the basics of C# programming.
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- Create 3D worlds in Unity
- Play their games on their mobile devices
- Program game mechanics in C#
- Bug test, troubleshoot, and share their projects
Students will create…
- A VR maze for Google Cardboard
- An AR Whack-A-Mole game
- An original Game Design Document, pitching their own project
- Final project of their design in VR or AR
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Smartphone or Tablet running Android
- Any Oculus VR Headset (optional)
N.B. Download and install Adobe software for free. You will receive a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud license from Digital Media Academy to activate the software for the duration of the course.
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.