About this course
This course is designed for learners who are new to French and who learn best by having fun. It will give students the opportunity to build a foundational understanding of the language by practising their listening, speaking and writing French skills through reading and engaging tasks.
As students learn best by doing, a variety of interactive games and activities will be used. We will learn using songs, games, role-playing and most importantly, fun! Every class will begin with a review of the previous class, as the best way to learn a new language is to practice and reinforce.
Learning a new language can be intimidating, this class aims to make language learning fun and put students at ease in order to create a safe and welcoming learning environment.
What you'll learn
We will be focusing on building our speaking, listening, writing and reading skills in French authentically. Particular emphasis will be placed on phonetic awareness, reading fluency and reading comprehension in order to build confidence in oral communication.
In addition to learning how to read both with fluency and comprehension, students will learn fundamental concepts that will allow them to have a basic level of French, as noted by the course outline below.
- Greetings, presenting oneself; sounds a & i
- Numbers; sounds o & u
- Colours; sounds e & è
- Days of the week; sounds é & ê
- Months of the year; Review; a, i, o, u, e, è, é & ê
- Weather; sound ch
- Personal Pronouns: Part 1; sound ou
- Personal Pronouns: Part 2; sounds on & om
- Family members; sounds eau, o & au
- Common adjectives; sounds ien
- Common fruits & vegetables; sounds ille
- Body parts; sounds eu & eur
- Classroom objects; sounds: oi & oir
- Clothing; sounds: br, fr, cr, & dr
- Domestic animals; sounds: pr, gr & tr
- Farm animals: sounds in, im, ain, aim & ein
Materials & Homework
To make the most out of our time together, have the following materials ready at the start of each class.
- A dedicated notebook/binder/duo tang
- Writing tools (pencils, pens, erasers)
- Pencil Crayons
Every week, students will be assigned a task and will be given time to complete this task during class. If you do not complete it during class time, you may submit it any time prior to our next class on Microsoft Teams.
All assignments are to be submitted on Microsoft Teams and will be assessed by me.