This course is designed to give students in Grade 7 and 8 the fundamental skills required for success in the Grade 9 English Curriculum.
The lessons are led by teachers and classes are interactive. There is a maximum of 12 students in a class and the virtual classes will be delivered using the Zoom Platform and Google Classroom. The students will receive binders by mail with the weekly notes and worksheets included therein. There is approximately one hour of homework assigned each class.
The course will incorporate units of study providing a foundation in each strand of the English curriculum which students will encounter in Grade 9 English. More specifically, the following areas will be covered:
* Unit 1: Short Stories - Three short stories will be covered during this part of the course. Each story is designed to cover the elements of plot, theme and character.
* Unit 2: Novel Study - A short novel will be assigned at the beginning of the course which will be the focus of this unit. The analysis of the novel will cover the elements particular to a novel as distinct from a short story. This unit will culminate in an Independent Study Unit which includes written and oral components.
* Unit 3: Poetry - This part of the course will cover concepts of figurative language and analysis.
* Unit 4: Advanced Essay Writing - Building on skills taught in previous POW courses, this unit will teach skills specific to writing a Literary Essay of 500-600 words. The essay will be written on topics related to the novel studied in Unit 2.
* Ongoing: The Cumulative Performance Task - This will be introduced at the beginning of the course. A choice of novels will be offered to students. It involves a summative assignment which brings together the various other components of the course. It includes poetry, an oral presentation, development of web pages on the class CPT website (which are designed to teach the class about their selected novel), and a Literary essay based on their chosen novel.