The First Step in Your Child's App Development Journey!
- GAIN THE EXPERIENCE OF BUILDING WORKING APPS!
- DEVELOP A COMPUTATIONAL THINKING MINDSET
- GAIN EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE NEST, OUR COMMUNITY OF ASPIRING APP DEVELOPERS + CODING ENTHUSIASTS
- LEARN THE CORE CONCEPTS OF CODING IN SWIFT
With guidance from an industry expert, students will learn how iOS apps are built and even build real working apps themselves in Swift coding language.
iOS Development: Part 1 uses Apple certified learning materials in a flipped classroom to teach students the key concepts of iOS app development.
The flipped classroom is a modern learning technique. It allows students to study materials first on their own, followed by meetings with their teacher to follow up on questions that have come up during their individual study time. Students will meet weekly, over the course of ten weeks, with their qualified instructor for clarification and questions in a secure Zoom room. Students will also have access throughout the week to their instructor, who is available for guidance and clarification along the way.
Why Do We Use A Flipped Classroom?
- It offers more hands-on learning experience during class time
- Students can work at their own pace, meaning those who gain concepts faster won't be held back and those who take more time won't be left behind
- It offers a more individualised and personalised learning experience for each child
- Encourages more class participation and problem-solving with their peers
- Students are more engaged in class
- Students get more out of their one-on-one time with their industry-expert instructor
iOS Development students will also gain access to a private community of other students studying iOS app development through our Discord Server, The Nest. A place to:
- Foster an active community of kids who love to code and are interested in iOS app development.
- Meet other students who are studying coding and aspiring app developers
- Socialise with each other and feel part of a strong, supportive, welcoming community of coders!
- Share ideas
- Talk about current events related to Swift coding and iOS app development
- Communicate with the instructor
NOTE: This private Discord server will be closely monitored by the Swift Kids staff to ensure that it is a safe and friendly environment for all Swift Kids students and graduates. All members of this private Discord will be vetted by staff to ensure only Swift Kids students, former students and other young aspiring app developers are admitted into the server. Ages 13+.
- Classes are Sundays for ten weeks
- Students will have a one-on-one session with their instructor during the week
- Students will also be able to communicate with their instructor throughout the week, who will be available for clarification and to answer questions
- Classes take place over Zoom, with an industry expert
- No previous knowledge in coding required, however a familiarity with coding concepts is an asset
- A next great next step for students who have already completed our Swift Fundamentals course
- As there is some self-guided learning required for this course, we generally suggest an age range of 16 - 18.*
*Age range is a suggestion, not a rule. If you would like to know if the course is right for your child, please contact the course instructor to discuss.
Students will need:
- A Mac (running macOS 11.0 or later)
- A stable internet connection
- The free app “Xcode”*, installed on their Mac
- Zoom - installed on your Mac you can download Zoom for free HERE and set up an account
*NOTE: This app is not compatible with PC/Windows*
We can’t wait for your child to begin their iOS app development journey!