Part One of Swift Kids Two-Part iOS Development Program
- BUILD REAL WORKING APPS!
- DESIGN YOUR OWN APP!
- DEVELOP A COMPUTATIONAL THINKING MINDSET
- GAIN EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE NEST, OUR COMMUNITY OF YOUNG CODERS!
- LEARN THE CORE CONCEPTS OF CODING IN SWIFT
What is Lift Off?
With guidance from an industry expert, students will learn how iOS apps are built and even build real working apps themselves in the Swift programming language. This course is a prerequisite for Soaring High (iOS Development Part 2). In this course students will have the exciting opportunity to design their own app, which they will go on to begin building in the second part of the course!
iOS Development: A Unique Learning Experience
Lift Off uses Apple certified learning materials in a flipped classroom to teach students the key concepts of iOS app development.
The flipped classroom is a modern learning technique. It provides students the space to study materials first on their own, followed by meetings with their teacher to follow up on questions they have. Students will meet weekly with their peers, over the course of ten weeks, with their qualified instructor for clarification and questions in a secure Zoom room. Students will also have access throughout the week to their instructor, who is available for guidance and clarification along the way.
Why Do We Use A Flipped Classroom?
- It offers more hands-on learning experience
- Students can work at their own pace, meaning those who gain concepts faster won't be held back and those who take more time won't be left behind
- It offers a more individualized and personalized learning experience for each child
- Encourages more class participation and problem-solving with their peers
- Students are more engaged in class
- Students get more out of their one-on-one time with their industry-expert instructor
“…class sizes were small, which allowed my son to get the one-on-one attention necessary to get the quality learning experience I had hoped for.”
When Does Lift Off Take Place?
- Our next Lift Off course begins the week of Oct 10th
- Group classes are Sundays at 10 AM EST for one hour, over ten weeks
- Students will have a one-on-one session with their instructor during the week
- Students will also be able to communicate with their instructor throughout the week, who will be available to answer questions and clarify material
- Classes take place over Zoom, with an industry expert
Who Can Attend Lift Off?
- No previous knowledge in coding required, however a familiarity with coding concepts is an asset
- Lift Off is the ideal next step for students who have already completed First Flight: Intro to Apple Coding (formerly Swift Fundamentals)
- As there is some self-guided learning required for this course, we generally suggest an age range of 13 - 18.*
*Age range is a suggestion, not a rule. If you would like to know if the course is right for your child, please contact the course instructor to discuss.
What Do Students Need for iOS Development: Part One?
- A Mac (running macOS 11.0 or later)
- A stable internet connection
- The free app “Xcode”*, installed on your Mac
- Zoom - installed on your Mac you can download Zoom for free HERE and set up an account
*NOTE: This app is not compatible with PC/Windows*
We can’t wait for your child to begin their iOS app development journey!