Engage in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) with us while in the comfort of your home!
We're excited to be offering weekly online STEM programs, developed and taught by undergraduate/graduate science or engineering students, Teacher Candidates, or Ontario Certified Teachers. Online programs are two-hours daily for four- or five-days depending on the week. Each session will be LIVE, GUIDED and will allow participants to be involved in hands-on activities.
Dive into the world of genes and heredity with our Intro to Genetics summer camp. Construct a DNA model, explore the concept of probability with Punnet Squares, investigate heredity using pasta, and more!
Science Engagement Programs offer innovative and engaging programs designed to inspire youth and discover exciting topics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Our programs use a discovery and inquiry-based learning approach with a focus on ‘learning by doing’. Our outreach model provides students with a chance to work in small groups on a variety of projects. This model helps foster problem solving, critical thinking, and an overall passion for STEM.
Testimonials about our online programs:
- "Exactly what my child needed after a long year of distance learning from the pandemic... He's re-inspired and excited about learning. Thanks!"
- "The program was great, the instructions given to the kids were extremely clear and the kids had enough time to complete their tasks on their own. The program included physical activities which kept the kids in an amazing mood and very focused. The group games were fun and engaging. The instructors were amazing and gave the same attention to every single kid in the class. Thank you for the interesting and fun program!"
- "[My Child] had a great time at the Mechanics camp. The exercises were well thought-out, hands on and age appropriate. The kits were super well organized. Thank you, York U staff. You rock!"
- "I just want to say a big thank you to you and your instructors Justin and Vanessa. This is the best virtual camp that our children have attended so far! ... The instructors are constantly engaging the students and making sure they are understanding and following the instructions, and of course, the instructors were being extremely patient and helpful. They kept reminding the students that it’s ok to make mistakes and we may not get things perfect the first time. They are always encouraging the kids to try their best and praising them when they have good attitudes. It was a great learning experience and the kids had fun! Thank you!"
- "The Flight Academy online camp has been the best extra-curricular online program my son has joined so far (and he's joined many!) He's been eager to get online and see what you'd be doing every day. The facilitators are very well prepared, engaging, explaining in just the right amount of detail and "seeing" and encouraging every kid's contributions. He's learned a good amount of science, and he's been flying rockets in our backyard all week. Thank you, you are amazing!"
- "Kudos to you and your team on a successful summer! Great work on the engaging sessions where the staff were very professional and also equally charismatic and where guest speakers were very relevant and informative. [My Child] spoke very highly of the person who had worked to provide COVID vaccines this year, and also spoke of all the anecdotes of the speakers, and also the lead students; he recalled fondly current and past years' speakers and team leaders of the sessions, such as the nursing speakers and other students who instructed these sessions both this current and last year.
Also, great work on the pre-planning of the experiments (what a great box of experiments, stickers/ baggies/ notes, and organization of all the materials!!!) and the early follow-ups with participants and parents to gauge how the sessions were progressing (online and with the students directly).Your team surpassed itself this year, despite the many challenges of schedules, the virtual context and all the uncertainty that COVID brought to the sessions both last year and this year."