OAKVILLE, ON, March 29 – It’s official! Construction of Appleby College’s new 80,000-square-foot athletics and student life space, to be named the A.W.B Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life, is underway. Scheduled to open in late Fall 2018, the building is the largest construction project in the school’s 106-year history and is designed to transform Appleby’s capacity for indoor athletics and training programmes.
Appleby students and employees came together on March 28 to celebrate breaking ground on the A.W.B Alumni Centre. Special guest Aubrey Baillie ’63, Appleby alumnus, Chair, A.W.B. Charitable Foundation & Chair, Appleby College Foundation, has a long-standing relationship with the school and spoke on behalf of the A.W.B Charitable Foundation, a major donor to the project. Aubrey’s uncle and namesake, Aubrey Baillie ’27, established the A.W.B Charitable Foundation in the 1960s and extended a Baillie Family tradition of supporting Appleby. In his remarks Aubrey shared, “My uncle Aubrey started the A.W.B Charitable Foundation to support charitable endeavours in Halton Region, including ongoing support of Appleby, and he would be honoured to have his name associated with this Alumni Centre.”
The $32 million structure will include:
• Three gyms (a double gym and a single gym that converts into a 1,000-seat auditorium for school assemblies, guest speakers and full school events)
• New cardio, yoga, spinning, workout spaces and athletic therapy clinic
• Six classrooms and additional study and group meeting spaces
• Campus room that will become a central gathering place
• Alumni reception/boardroom celebrating the school’s history and heritage
• College Shop
For more information on Appleby’s new athletics and student life space please visit: http://www.appleby.on.ca/awbalumnicentre.