SAC’s Swim team made history at the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations (OFSAA), a prestigious competition for top athletes from across Ontario.
Not only did SAC swimmers win their first ever Senior Men's OFSAA championship by accumulating 440 points to put them ahead of Upper Canada with 432 points, they also set three records during the March 3-4 event at the Etobicoke Olympium.
A 25-year-old record was broken in the Men’s 15 and Over 4x50M Freestyle Senior Relay finals by Mark Chan (24.65s), Brian Wang (24.89s), Justin McNamara (24.24s), and James Stevenson (24.32s). Their combined times of 1:38.10s broke the previous record of 1:40.57s set in 1990 by Oakwood.
SAC broke a second OFSAA record set in 1992 in Senior Men's 200 Medley Relay. Congratulations to Justin McNamara (29.35s, Backstroke), Aidan Bertolas (32.06s, Breaststroke), Brian Wang (26.99s, Butterfly), James Stevenson (24.05s, Freestyle).This broke a 23-year record set by Kennedy High School who had a time of 1:55.20s.
Additionally, a third OFSAA record was broken by Alejandro Madrazo Murillo, grade 9, in the Junior Boys 100M Freestyle with a time of 57:25s. His parents had flown in from Mexico to watch the competition and were thrilled to witness their son's amazing achievement. The previous record was set in 2012 with a time of 57.69s.
Day 1 – Results
-Pak Yin Sin, eighth in Sr. 200M Freestyle (2:15.37s)
-Alejandro Madrazo Murillo, third in Jr. 50M Freestyle (26.79s)
-James Stevenson, fourth in Sr. 50M Freestyle (24.78s)
- Mark Chan, seventh in Sr. 50M Freestyle (25.25s)
-Brian Wang, second, breaking his own SAC record in 50M Butterfly with a time of 27.08s
-Aidan Bertolas, fifth in 100M Breaststroke (1:13.82s)
-David Xu, first in Open 100M Breaststroke (1:06.12s)
-200 Medley Relay - gold (see above for details)
Day 2 – Results
- Mark Chan, fourth in Sr. Men's 100M Individual Medley (1:03.61s)
- David Xu, third in Open Men's 100M Individual Medley (1:00.80s)
- Justin McNamara, second in Sr. Men's 100M Freestyle (53.90s) - a SAC record
- Elias Castren, 19th in Sr. Men's 100 M Freestyle (59.63s)
- Alejandro Madrazo Murillo - gold in Jr. Men's 100M Freestyle (see above for details)
- Aidan Bertolas, 11th in Sr. Men's 100M Backstroke (1:08.48s)
- Pak Yin Sin, 16th in Sr. Men's 100M Backstroke (1:14.54s)
- Men's 4X50M Freestyle Relay - gold (see above for details); Mark Chan, Lead-Off Leg (24.65s) - new SAC record
- Alejandro Madrazo Murillo (59.14s); William Deo (58.39s); David Xu (55.11s) and Elias Castren (58.23s) third in Open Men's 4X100M Freestyle Relay.
Congratulations on an amazing year! This is the first year in SAC history that senior swimmers have brought home a championship banner. It will be installed in the Walden Pool after the Athletic Assembly.
Story by Head Coach Christine McCue