Curlew Montessori School ADMISSIONS
Private schools in Canada have admissions policies, and they require application materials. These may include letters of application, application fees, essays, and tests (such as the SSAT). Many schools also require interviews with prospective students. Schools also use different criteria for evaluating student applications, have different acceptance rates, and target different kinds of students. To improve your child’s chances of acceptance, find out everything you can about a school’s admissions policies and how they assess applicants.
|SSAT (out of province)
Curlew MS admissions deadlines and fees
Day students: Rolling
Offer mid-year entry: Yes
Application fee: $0
Registration fee: $1
What Curlew MS says about their admissions requirements:
The admission policy of Curlew Montessori School is based on the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori. We strive to serve a broad range of socioeconomic, religious, cultural, racial and ability groups. Our Program is not designed for children that have specific difficulties
i. e. learning exceptionalities, medical or emotional needs, psychological issues nor are our teachers trained in these areas. For this reason, we are not always able to meet the needs of every child.
- CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
- Toddler Program Ages 18 months – 3 years
- Children must be 18 months old on the first day of attendance.
- Children do not have to be toilet trained.
- Children should be able to separate from their parents within a reasonable amount of time as determined by the teacher depending on the needs of each individual child.
- Preschool/Kindergarten Program Ages 3 - 6
- Children must be 2.7-4 years old on the first day of attendance.
- Children must be toilet trained and use the bathroom independently.
- If a child has had previous school experience, copies of transcripts and/or a complete student recommendation form will be required.
- Children who turn 4 by September 1st will be considered for the Kindergarten program.
- Children who are not yet 4 and are enrolled in the full day program, may be required to take a rest in the afternoon.
- ADDITIONAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS (for all levels)
- All new parents meet with the Director and complete a school tour.
- Copies of any educational/psychological testing must be submitted before admission to the school.
- Education of all children will be done within the parameters of the Montessori philosophy and its implementation in the classroom. This implementation implies a well-rounded multi-sensory approach to education and values students that display characteristics needed for success and happiness.
- In keeping with our philosophy of serving the best interest of children, we evaluate students by observation and interviews and before accepting for admission, reserve the right to evaluate students on academic readiness and aptitude, social maturity and behavior according to age.
- Admission of children with special needs will be for a specific set trial period (as discussed) from the first day of entry into the classroom.
- CHILDREN WITH EXCEPTIONALITIES
Children with mild physical, mental or educational exceptionalities are considered for admission when special care or attention is not required. Reasonable accommodations will be made provided that minor changes to the program are required and that the child does not pose a risk to himself or others. A recent diagnostic assessment by qualified professionals, which identifies the child’s needs within a “mainstream” environment, is required. Assessment prior to admission and consequent periodic assessment may also be required during the school year and prior to re-registration. An educational assessment will determine:
- The need of a “shadow” at school. Parents agree to assume financial responsibility for the shadow.
- Whether continuation through the current academic year is in the best interest of the child and his/her environment.
- APPLICATION PROCEDURES
- Request information either by phone or via electronic message.
- An information packet containing our mission, brochure, program information, tuition schedule and an application form will be forwarded electronically.
- A tour by prospective parents is required. Tours are scheduled Monday through Friday mornings. Every effort is made to schedule tours for the first convenient date. Prior to the tour, a meeting with the Head of School or Administrator is scheduled to answer any questions and explain the programs.
- At the end of the tour, the registration process can begin, and at that time parents or guardians may submit a prospective student’s application form. If the child requires a classroom visit, it may be scheduled at that time.
- A non-refundable application fee is due upon submission of the application. Submission of health forms and a birth certificate will be required upon acceptance.
Enrollment of students is made on a first come, first served basis given the following guidelines:
- Returning students are given first priority until February 1st of the preceding school year.
- Siblings and former Curlew Montessori School families are given priority.
- The number of children who can be accommodated depends on Montessori guidelines and CCEYA regulations. When space is unavailable at the time of application, children may be placed on the waiting list at the parents’ request and after submission of the application form. As soon as a space becomes available, the Director will contact the parent with regard to a start date.
- The annual registration fee, tuition deposit and any other applicable fees are due along with the appropriate forms at the time of registration. The registration fee and tuition deposit ensure a child’s enrolment in the appropriate program.
- The registration and deposit fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Upon registration, a commitment for the entire school year is required.
- Specific policies contained within the financial agreement are binding.
- CLASS PLACEMENT
- Generally, children will remain in the same classroom and with their classroom teacher until they are ready for placement in the next level appropriate to their educational, emotional, and social needs, unless Curlew Montessori School feels a change is in the best interest of the child.
- Curlew Montessori School reserves the right to place children in order to maintain balanced classes with respect to class size, age, sex and individual needs of students.
We welcome all students regardless of gender, race, religion or national origin
Learn about the percentage of students typically accepted into Curlew Montessori School. This can help you gauge your chances of getting into this school. For instance, a 95% acceptance rate means a school is relatively easy to get into, while a 10% acceptance rate means it will be difficult to get into.
Curlew Montessori School acceptance rate: 100%
Curlew Montessori School student entry points
Schools accept different numbers of students at different grade levels. Learn how many students are accepted into Curlew Montessori School at each grade level.
|10 - 15 (100%)
|8 - 10 (100%)
|4 - 6 (100%)
|4 - 6 (100%)
What type of student Curlew MS is looking for:
This information is not currently available.
THE OUR KIDS REPORT: Curlew Montessori School
Next steps to continue your research: