Offering an innovative, advanced curriculum, and exciting extra-curricular enrichments, UMS seeks to inspire, guide and challenge its students. We incorporate emerging technologies through our STEM lab, iPad programs, 3D printers, coding and robotics extensions, while integrating science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Along with our music department and comprehensive athletics programs, our dedicated teachers provide safe, welcoming environments for all needs, including those of the gifted and talented.
- STEM Technology: We believe in advanced technological resources within all classrooms.
- Literacy and Language Development: Literacy is at the core of every subject we teach.
- Integrative Learning: Our teachers work together to design meaningful curriculum.
- Math: Individual and collaborative work focusses on real-world problem solving.
- The Arts: Music, Art, and Drama are taught by specialty teachers for all grades.
- Enrichment: A wide variety of after-school enrichments for suit multiple skills/interests.
- French: All students from a CASA through to grade 8 are taught by specialty teachers.
- Athletics: Multiple sports’ teams compete against other SSAF schools throughout the year.
- Parent Association: An active parent council that meets regularly with parents and administration.
- Before/After Care: students can be dropped off as early as 7 a.m. and picked up as late as 6 p.m.
How well-suited is your child to UMS?
Our Take: Unionville Montessori Private Schools
Unionville offers everything you would rightly expect from a Montessori education, including casa classrooms and group arts and music instruction, which provide opportunities for hands-on learning and the development of natural peer and mentor relationships. The program also builds from that foundation, including a significant and enthusiastic adoption of in-class technology. That aspect of the school is integrated nicely within with more traditional aspects of the method, becoming a natural extension of the approach that Maria Montessori described a century ago. The school is larger than we might initially expect of a Montessori program, though the benefits of size include a breadth of curricular and extra-curricular programming. Families that enroll here are those that prize the Montessori approach, though are also looking for something more. Indeed, that’s exactly what they find.
What does learning at Unionville Montessori Private Schools look like now?
During the Covid-19 crisis, UMS has continued delivering a full e-learning curriculum, with live classes throughout all the grades and subject areas. We’ve also established a daily check-in time for students, where every teacher is available for tutoring, mentoring or simply answering a question regarding an upcoming assignment. Our administration has made themselves available for one-to-one consultations with parents and students, to manage any ongoing issues or concerns and to help with the emotional impact that the current crisis could be having on individuals in our student population. This has truly been a community effort, from our dedicated staff, to our valued parents and students.
Our school prides itself on 21st century learning and has always been at the forefront of how technology can influence and drive our curriculum. Moving to e-learning has been a rewarding endeavour, as it embedded a lot of the technology we were already using on a regular basis within the school. Students adapted quickly and seamlessly and while everyone misses the human interaction of a live class, through break-out rooms and individual conferencing, our teachers have done a masterful job of ensuring student interaction is kept at the forefront of curriculum delivery.
We anticipate seeing our students again in the fall, but know this experience will be one that helps shape what we can achieve with the online platform. We feel it has helped prepare our students for the future.
View recent COVID-19 updates from UMS