The benefits of Whitby private schools
You may not need a reminder, but just to be clear, here’s a survey of some of the main reasons why parents send their kids to private school.
- Smaller class sizes help kids focus better on the teacher and on what’s being taught. This also entails that students receive more individual attention from instructors.
- Private schools tend to be safer.
- Independent schools offer exceptional academics and facilities. Private schools often have higher academic standards than elsewhere. They also often have a reputation for excellence in other areas, including athletics. As you tour private schools in Whitby, ask about their sports facilities, IT resources, libraries, clubs, and other extracurricular resources on campus.
- Private schools’ extracurricular activities are often more comprehensive, varied, and stimulating than those you’ll find elsewhere.
Paying for a private school in Whitby
When you reach out to elementary schools and secondary schools in the list above, they’ll readily share options and ideas for making tuition payments easier. You can also find a wealth of information on OurKids.net. Here’s a survey of help possible:
- Scholarships are available at many secondary and junior high schools. While academic scholarships offered by schools are most common, you can also find some athletic scholarships, and you can discover external organizations offering financial assistance. Click on the link above or learn more at our full hub of information on financial aid for private schools.
- Bursaries are also available from schools and elsewhere, for families who demonstrate a financial need. Schools often have tuition relief programs, as well, or they may be able to recommend financial institutions that will assess your finances to determine if you’re eligible for a bursary.
- Community support organizations offer some help, especially if your child has special needs that public schools cannot deal with.
- Churches offer help for paying for private school, especially if you choose a Christian or Catholic school.
- Provincial tax credits are available in some cases in Ontario. For example, send your child to a faith-based private school, and tuition payments can qualify as a charitable donation tax break. In another example, for children who have special needs, costs can be written off as medical expenses.
- Many schools have tuition starting at very affordable rates.
Private School Regulations in Ontario
If a school seeks to give diploma-worthy credits, then it must allow Ontario Ministry of Education inspections. Moreover, any school in Ontario must meet provincial standardized criteria. Private schools in Ancaster most often go far above provincial guidelines, applying their own educational philosophies and distinct strategies to provide students with the best possible education.
When you are searching for a private school, especially a high school, be sure to verify that it is registered with the Ontario Ministry of Education. You might also investigate its reputation using Fraser Institute's annual rankings. While these should never be your only gauge of the quality of a school, they can certainly offer guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many Whitby private schools are there?
There are 5 Whitby private schools that are Our Kids trusted members.
How much is tuition at Whitby private schools?
Tuition fees for Whitby private schools range from $1,020 to $70,625 per year with an average tuition of $19,157 per year.
What’s the largest school?
Of the Whitby private schools, the largest is Blaisdale Montessori School with 750 students in Grades Nursery/Toddler to 8.
Are Whitby private schools good?
We interviewed both parents and students. You can read reviews about Whitby private schools on this page.
Is there a private school expo where I can meet with Whitby private schools?
Yes. You can meet with private schools and education experts at the Our Kids Private School Expos held every year in September and October. These events are designed for both parents and students. Find event details and ticket info here.