Special needs schools in Quebec
Find Quebec special needs schools listed below
What are special needs schools in Quebec and who are they for?
Whether your child requires more focused support at school or just a little extra support, a Quebec special needs school can provide assistance for a range of physical disabilities, communication behaviors, or cognitive disorders. School environments such as these either have programs that are integrated or commit their entire curriculum to nurturing your child’s potential and encouraging their interests.
Benefits of your child attending a Quebec special needs school
Teachers in mainstream classrooms often have the difficult responsibility of trying to cater to each child’s different learning style in a large classroom and that can be especially hard for children with special needs. They are thus less likely to receive the specific support they need to be successful.
In special needs schools in Quebec, teachers are able to focus on each student in smaller classroom settings. They can thus hone in on their individual needs and adapt their instruction throughout the year to help children with their strengths and weaknesses. They’re also able to offer before- and after-care, with the unique addition of extracurricular activities, to further your child’s learning and stimulate their growth and independence in new ways.
Learn about the pros and cons of special needs schools.
Types of Quebec special needs schools
Special needs schools in Quebec offer a mix of day and boarding programs and single-sex or coed options, with special needs support for Asperger’s Syndrome, autism, dyslexia, intellectual disability, and other learning differences. Many have ESL programs among their instructed languages and provide tutoring or after school help, as well as learning study assistance. This includes schools in Montreal, Sherbrooke, Kirkland, Laval, and Longueuil.
They also have a variety of courses and programs available including music, acting, photography, robotics, natural sciences, moral development, and other academic and social clubs as well as sports.
How to pay for a special needs education in Quebec
If your child has special needs, your family may be able to qualify for a medical tax break at a school in Quebec. Many extended insurance plans will also cover initial psychological assessments at special needs schools and there are a number of scholarships or bursaries available to help assist with fees.
Choosing the right special needs school for your child
Find the right special needs school in Quebec by taking the time to understand your child and what type of learner they are. That will help you figure out what kind of environment might support them best and any additional support they will need.
Creating lists with your family’s priorities is one of the best ways to decide what’s most important for your child. Start researching early by exploring school websites, contacting them to request information packages, or visiting school fairs, like the annual Our Kids private school expo in Montreal. Taking a tour of the school or going to an open house is one of the best ways to learn more about what the school has to offer and whether they might be a good fit.
Get more information on choosing the right special needs school with our guide. You can also read our step-by-step guide to choosing a private school.
Series: Special Needs Schools
- What is a special needs school?
- How do special needs schools support students?
- What are the main pros and cons of special needs schools?
- What makes for the best special needs school?
- Physical disability schools
- Developmental disability schools
- Special needs schools in Ontario
- Special needs schools in Toronto
- Special needs schools in Ottawa
Special needs schools
- Special needs schools
- Learning disabilities schools
- Physical disabilities schools
- Behavioural and emotional disorder schools
- Developmental disabilities schools
- Special needs boarding schools
- Special needs boys' schools
- Special needs coed schools
- Ottawa special needs schools
- Special needs day schools
- Alberta special needs schools
- British Columbia special needs schools
- Maritimes special needs schools
- Ontario special needs schools
- Quebec special needs schools
- Special needs schools in Saskatchewan
- USA special needs schools
- Toronto special needs schools
- Montreal special needs schools
- Vancouver special needs schools
- Mississauga special needs schools
- Calgary special needs schools
- Edmonton special needs schools
- Victoria special needs schools
- London special needs schools