Private School Information
Meet with Victoria (and BC's) top ranked private and independent schools and the best boarding schools across Canada at the Vancouver Private School Expo in November. This one-day event is a must for any parent or student considering an alternative education.
Provincial grants for private school tuition
BC, in part, provides grants to many of the province's best private schools. Indeed, 85% of British Columbia's private schools receive some provincial funding, which totals over $150 million in yearly spending.
There are ways to make private school affordable in Victoria and across British Columbia. B.C. may give you tax credits in two specific situations. First, if you send your child to a religious or faith-based school, its tuition may count as a charitable donation that you will receive a tax break for. Likewise, if you enroll your child in a school for students with special needs, you may be able to claim a medical tax benefit.
Other ways to pay for private school
- Victoria private schools will also help you fund your child's education through scholarships and bursaries. These grants usually have strict deadlines.
- If you live in a community that could not adequately serve your child, local organizations, such as the Rotary Club, may help pay part of your child's tuition.
- Many corporations allocate funds for education-based causes.
- Learn how government support, scholarships, bursaries and other savings strategies can help you pay for private school in Victoria.
Searching for a private school in Victoria
As you would in any city in British Columbia, it is best to find Victoria schools that are registered with the British Columbia Board of Education. You may also follow these tips:
- Be sure to talk to a school's teachers, administrators, students and their parents.
- Create a list of what you look for in a school. Is distance a concern for you? What is your ideal class size? What is the school's guiding educational philosophy?
- Visit various Victoria schools. Compare and contrast different private schools in your area, especially regarding their education and facilities.
Benefits of private school
Victoria's private and independent schools offer numerous unique benefits. Some of these include:
- Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia, was named the best place to live in Canada in 2009, with its beautiful weather, low unemployment rate, and reasonable cost of living
- Small class sizes
- Many opportunities for extra help
- A capacity to provide your child with a variety of extracurricular activities.
Click on the links on this page to learn about the best private and independent schools in Victoria, BC.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many private schools in Victoria, BC are there?
There are 6 private schools in Victoria, BC that are Our Kids trusted members.
How much is tuition at private schools in Victoria, BC?
Tuition fees for private schools in Victoria, BC range from $4,750 to $75,360 per year with an average tuition of $26,046 per year.
What’s the largest school?
Of the private schools in Victoria, BC, the largest is St. Michaels University School with 1003 students in Grades K to 12.
Are private schools in Victoria, BC good?
We interviewed both parents and students. You can read reviews about private schools in Victoria, BC on this page.
Is there a private school expo where I can meet with private schools in Victoria, BC?
Yes. You can meet with private schools and education experts at the Our Kids Private School Expos held every year in September and October. These events are designed for both parents and students. Find event details and ticket info here.