Asperger's schools in the USA
American Asperger's schools
Asperger's Syndrome is a variant within the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) characterised by repetitive patterns of interest and behaviour. Those diagnosed with Asperger’s are able to function well linguistically and cognitively, and to achieve high standards of academic success, especially when supports are offered to facilitate their unique learning needs. Those can include training social skills, cognitive behaviour therapy, medications, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.
Conversely, many aspects Asperger's Syndrome (AS) may predispose individuals to success within certain areas of professional and academic life. For example, some feel that Albert Einstein, Mozart, Thomas Jefferson and others may have exhibited a suite of symptoms that, were they with us today, might be viewed as within the AS spectrum. We'll never know, though there are certainly many successful people today in business, science, and culture who have Asperger's to one degree or another. Temple Grandin, an extremely successful scientist and communicator, is notable by her work as well as by the awareness that she’s brought to AS.
What to look for
For parents of children diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, Asperger's schools offer:
- smaller class sizes
- flexibility in budgeting for Asperger's support
- relief from (unfortunate) bullying
- specialized instruction and co-curricular therapies, including occupational therapies
- student-directed programs to support the child's learning styles, such as Montessori, Waldorf, or Reggio Emilia schools.
Listed below are schools in the United States that welcome students with Asperger's Syndrome. If you want to see our fill list of US private schools and learn what they have to offer, read our guide.
Special needs schools
- Special needs schools
- Learning disabilities schools
- Physical disabilities schools
- Behavioural and emotional disorder schools
- Developmental disabilities schools
- Toronto autism schools
- Autism schools in Ontario
- Toronto Asperger's schools
- Ontario schools supporting learners with Asperger's Syndrome
- Autism schools in Canada
- Private Asperger’s schools
- Autism spectrum disorders: diagnosis and treatment
- Down syndrome schools
- Intellectual disabilities schools
- Private autism schools in Montreal
- Private autism schools in Vancouver
- Private autism schools in Mississauga
- Private autism schools in Edmonton
- Private autism schools in Calgary
- Schools for kids with Williams syndrome