There are plenty of private schools in Canada that teach in at least two languages. Among these multilingual schools are bilingual schools that teach in Polish and English.
On this page find a list of Polish-English bilingual schools in Canada. To learn more about Polish-English education, and to view a list of bilingual schools in Poland, visit our Poland website.
Benefits of bilingual schools
Bilingual schools, including Polish-English bilingual schools, have plenty of benefits. Some of these are similar to those of other types of language schools, such as French, Mandarin, and German schools. First, consider the four “Cs,” as advantages of a bilingual education.
- Communication: In a bilingual school, barriers to communicating in a foreign language disappear from the earliest stage of education. Pupils study foreign languages through mutual communication and speaking with teachers.
- Cognition: Knowledge of two languages brings multiple benefits, including those that boost one’s cognitive abilities. It has been scientifically proven that people who know two languages are more aware of other languages, and that learning a new language comes more easily.
- Creativity: Learning in bilingual schools from an early age is also a factor that can lead to more high-level, abstract thinking. Students are more often looking for their own solutions and are more developed intellectually.
- Culture: Learning a foreign language in a private bilingual school is not only a way to master the skills of communication. It also provides a large dose of knowledge about the cultures surrounding the language.
However, this is not all. There are other advantages of bilingual schools.
- Tolerance: Bilingual schools teach the principles of tolerance, mutual support, and everyday interaction with people from different cultures.
- Health: Two health benefits also derive from bilingualism: Canadian scholars have proven that bilingualism has an effect on delaying the processes of dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
Different types of Polish language schools
Besides bilingual schools, there are other kinds of Polish schools in Canada. You should consider which option best meets your child’s needs, in terms of both your goals for language learning and for general academics.
Polish language schools
At a Polish language school, your child will be in an exclusively Polish environment, which includes everything from academics to the social community. All courses are taught in this language, except for English arts. If your child has experience with the language of Polish, or this is their first language, this may be a good option for them.
Polish immersion schools
This type of school is meant to provide a comprehensive Polish education to children whose first language isn’t Polish. Following the relevant provincial curriculum (such as that of Ontario), a Polish immersion school offers either all or most courses in Polish, with the exception of English arts. This type of school customizes education for Polish second-language students.
Schools with Polish courses
Some schools don’t have an immersive or bilingual Polish program but offer courses that teach Polish. This includes courses at many different grade and proficiency levels, including introductory, intermediate, and advanced Polish. You might consider one of these schools for your child if they’re interested in learning the basic or more refined features of this language.