Private English schools in Montreal
Find the top English-language schools in Montreal
English schools in Quebec and Montreal offer some of the highest quality education in the world. This includes English schools in downtown Montreal, Old Montreal, Mount Royal, Outremont, Westmount, Anjou, Rigaud, St. Laurent, Pointe-Claire, Hampstead, Côte-Saint-Paul, Verdun, Lasalle, GriffinTown, West Island, South Shore, Nuns Island, and Ville Marie. It also includes schools in Laval, Longueuil, Kirkland, and Dollard-des-Ormeaux.
In the province of Quebec, Bill 101 (and Bill 115) state that children must be educated in French until the end of secondary school, but there are special cases where students can pursue an English education at a private school.
Who's eligible to study at an English private school in Quebec?
- Children who are permanent residents of Quebec and who qualify for a certificate of eligibility for education in English
- Children who have been given special authorization for English language instruction
- Children who are living temporarily in Quebec and who qualify for temporary authorization for English education.
Attend a free seminar on English school eligibility and Bill 101 at the Our Kids Private School Expo in Montreal, held every September. Please RSVP to attend.
The certificate of eligibility for English school in Quebec
English students who want English instruction in Quebec may receive a certificate of eligibility if they fit into one of the following categories:
- They have already had most of the elementary or secondary education in English in Canada
- They have a brother or sister who had English schooling for most of his or her elementary education
- Their father or mother attended any English school in Canada for most of their elementary studies
- Their father or mother received a certificate of eligibility to acquire English language schooling in Quebec since August 26, 1977.
The certificate of eligibility is permanent and has no limitations. For children who receive the certificate of eligibility for English language instruction in Quebec, their siblings are also eligible.
Special authorization for English only schooling
There are two broad categories for children who may receive instruction in English.
- Children with learning disabilities as defined by Quebec's Charter of the French language, under section 81.
- Children admitted to receive instruction based on a critical family or humanitarian reason, as determined by Quebec's Ministry of Education, Recreation and Sports.
There are several cases where temporary authorization for English language instruction can be gained. These instances include:
- Dependent children of persons living in Quebec temporarily to study or work.
- Dependent children of those who are not citizens of Canada but are posted in Quebec temporarily as representatives or officers of another country or international body.
- Dependent children of any members of the Canadian Armed Forces posted temporarily in the province of Quebec.
Temporary authorizations for English instruction are often annual and expire on June 30 of any school year in which the child's family's stay in Quebec ends. You can learn more about temporary authorization conditions by clicking here.
Below, find a list of English schools in Montreal and Quebec. Click on a school to learn more about it.