Private School Information
Small class sizes at allow teachers and educational assistants to attend more closely to unique learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses. They also foster an environment of discipline because instructors can closely monitor what happens in their classrooms.
In the Maritimes, private school prices range from as low as $4,000 and in New Brunswick, 0.9% of the province's total student population attends private school (source: Measuring Choice and Competition in Canadian Education, the Fraser Institute, February 27, 2014). Our Kids provides you with helpful tuition tips to help you pay a private school's tuition and its extra costs (e.g., textbooks).
Private schools in the Maritimes have a rich academic tradition that predates Canadian confederation. One independent school in the Maritimes traces its roots back to 1778.
Notes one parent:
"There is a palpable sense that special things have happened in the past and continue to happen here. When I walk through my daughter's school, I feel the presence of all of the students who have been here before and realize she is now part of history. She will be one of the thousands of people who have studied here, learned here, and grew here. It's incredibly humbling for us."
Today, private schools dot the map of the Maritimes, with prestigious schools found in places as varied as Lunenburg and Wolfeville, NS, Saint John, NB, and elsewhere along Canada's east coast.
Distinct Benefits of Private School
Private schools present a series of advantages that are distinct from other kinds of schools. Some of these pros could include:
- Smaller class sizes and outside-of-class help sessions provide your son or daughter with plenty of time to talk to his or her teachers. Instructors will help your child stay on task.
- Parents often prefer private schools because they ensure that their child doesn't have to learn material they will find objectionable (i.e. on religious or philosophical grounds).
- Some private schools have relatively heavy workloads, which can play a major role in preparing students for post-secondary education.
- Private schools have vast resources, which allow them to recruit some of the country's best teachers and administrators. In addition, they offer excellent facilities.
- You can choose a private school in any location, as you aren't restricted by distance. As such, you can select the institution that best meets your child's specific learning needs.
When you look through the private school list on this page, click on the links and check out the many features of our listings, including video virtual tours, insider stories and much more about individual schools in Halifax, Saint John's, and the rest of the Maritimes.