Private School Information
Some of the many benefits of private school include the following:
Want an insider's perspective? Oct 3 to 24, 2020
Take 90 seconds now, and get free access to the Private School Admissions Pathway, a sequence of virtual events and your own personalized portal to manage your school research and improve your admissions prospects. You'll receive:
- Recommended schools specific to your needs
- A frank look at the challenges and weaknesses of each school
- Insights from parents about what they wish they had known before enrolling
Only available Oct 3-24th. Don't miss out.
- Private schools facilitate involvement by parents in school life and in their children's education. Parents are often closely involved in the school community and often choose private schools with the religious or educational perspective that directly reflects the values of the family. Dialogue between teachers and parents encourages the development of success strategies suited to your child and allow parents and instructors to see different aspects of students.
- Many private schools focus on the issue of class size, remaining vigilant about maintaining class order and attending closely to the individual needs of students. (Montessori schools do not focus on small class size, emphasizing instead interaction among different grade levels and self-directed learning.) Small class sizes allow teachers to closely monitor students strengths, weaknesses and patterns. Close observation makes classroom discipline easier.
- Private schools often boast (rightly) about their ability to prepare young learners for university or college. Higher education institutions around the world often carry a higher regard for private schools' graduates.
These are just a few of the many advantages you may find in choosing a private school in Scarborough.
Private schools teaching strategies recognize that each student has unique learning needs. A former Scarborough private school student speaks about his early days at private school.
"I came from a place where they didn't understand me. When I began my private school experience, I struggled in English, so the school assigned me to an English tutor. When I graduated high school, English was my strongest mark. Simply put, private school improved my writing skills and gave me immense confidence."
Paying for a Private School in Scarborough
Tuition for Scarborough's private schools ranges from around $4,000 to upwards of $20,000. However, there are multiple ways to make paying for private education palatable. If your child is accomplished in a particular area (i.e. academics, visual arts, athletics, community involvement), then he or she could be eligible for a scholarship from a private school itself or an external organization. As well, both private schools and charitable funds help families with clear financial needs.
Beyond scholarships and bursaries, here are a few other ways to help you pay for private school:
- Tax Breaks: The Ontario government offers tax breaks to parents who send their children to religious institutions or to schools for students with special needs. If your son or daughterâ€™s grandparents give you a gift to put towards private school, that money would also be tax-free (i.e. gift exemption).
- Flexible payment plans: You can pay in instalments over a period of months, instead of a one-time tuition payment. Schools offer this and many other kinds of financial aid.
- Sibling discounts
Click on any of the links on this page for much more information or attend one of Our Kids annual private school expos.