Private School Information
Some of the many benefits of private school include the following:
- Private schools facilitate involvement by parents in school life and in their children's education. Parents are often closely involved in the school community and often choose private schools with the religious or educational perspective that directly reflects the values of the family. Dialogue between teachers and parents encourages the development of success strategies suited to your child and allow parents and instructors to see different aspects of students.
- Many private schools focus on the issue of class size, remaining vigilant about maintaining class order and attending closely to the individual needs of students. (Montessori schools do not focus on small class size, emphasizing instead interaction among different grade levels and self-directed learning.) Small class sizes allow teachers to closely monitor students strengths, weaknesses and patterns. Close observation makes classroom discipline easier.
- Private schools often boast (rightly) about their ability to prepare young learners for university or college. Higher education institutions around the world often carry a higher regard for private schools' graduates.
These are just a few of the many advantages you may find in choosing a private school in Scarborough.
Private schools teaching strategies recognize that each student has unique learning needs. A former Scarborough private school student speaks about his early days at private school.
"I came from a place where they didn't understand me. When I began my private school experience, I struggled in English, so the school assigned me to an English tutor. When I graduated high school, English was my strongest mark. Simply put, private school improved my writing skills and gave me immense confidence."
Paying for a Private School in Scarborough
Tuition for Scarborough's private schools ranges from around $4,000 to upwards of $20,000. However, there are multiple ways to make paying for private education palatable. If your child is accomplished in a particular area (i.e. academics, visual arts, athletics, community involvement), then he or she could be eligible for a scholarship from a private school itself or an external organization. As well, both private schools and charitable funds help families with clear financial needs.
Beyond scholarships and bursaries, here are a few other ways to help you pay for private school:
- Tax Breaks: The Ontario government offers tax breaks to parents who send their children to religious institutions or to schools for students with special needs. If your son or daughterâ€™s grandparents give you a gift to put towards private school, that money would also be tax-free (i.e. gift exemption).
- Flexible payment plans: You can pay in instalments over a period of months, instead of a one-time tuition payment. Schools offer this and many other kinds of financial aid.
- Sibling discounts
Click on any of the links on this page for much more information or attend one of Our Kids annual private school expos.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many Scarborough private schools are there?
There are 2 Scarborough private schools that are Our Kids trusted members.
How much is tuition at Scarborough private schools?
Tuition fees for Scarborough private schools range from $16,775 to $22,800 per year with an average tuition of $19,888 per year.
What’s the largest school?
Of the Scarborough private schools, the largest is Royal Crown School with 300 students in Grades 7 to 12.
Are Scarborough private schools good?
We interviewed both parents and students. You can read reviews about Scarborough private schools on this page.
Is there a private school expo where I can meet with Scarborough private schools?
Yes. You can meet with private schools and education experts at the Our Kids Private School Expos held every year in September and October. These events are designed for both parents and students. Find event details and ticket info here.