Benefits of schools in Durham
You can find a first-rate private school for your child in Durham, Ontario. Whether you’re in need of a preschool for your toddler, or a high school for your teenager, you’re sure to find some great options.
Want an insider's perspective? Oct 3 to 24, 2020
Take 90 seconds now, and get free access to the Private School Admissions Pathway, a sequence of virtual events and your own personalized portal to manage your school research and improve your admissions prospects. You'll receive:
- Recommended schools specific to your needs
- A frank look at the challenges and weaknesses of each school
- Insights from parents about what they wish they had known before enrolling
Only available Oct 3-24th. Don't miss out.
Private schools in Durham, Ontario have plenty of perks. In fact, they tend to have many of the same benefits as other private schools.
Below, we list some of the main benefits of Durham schools. Keep in mind, this isn’t an exhaustive list.
- Challenging academics: Schools tend to meet and surpass Ontario provincial curriculum standards, and many offer special needs support and enrichment opportunities.
- Community: A close-knit and vibrant student and parent community is the norm.
- Extracurriculars: This can include after-school clubs, sports teams, art and music programs, and many other options.
- Strong teaching: Teachers tend to be top-notch: well-trained, experienced, enthusiastic, and dedicated.
- Small classes: Many schools have small classes, with low student-to-teacher ratios. This can lead to an intimate and engaging learning environment.
- Personalized instruction: With smaller classes and the right expertise, teaching can be tailored to meet the unique learning needs of individual students.
- Parent involvement: Schools encourage you to get involved in many aspects of your child’s school life.
- Great resources: This may include sports facilities, art studios, research facilities, libraries, and modern educational technology.
Choosing a Durham private school
There are many different types of schools in Durham, Ontario. This includes boarding, Montessori, troubled teen, learning disability, IB, and Christian schools.
Make sure you take a close look at several schools in your search. You should visit schools, take tours, talk to school officials and parents, and ask schools lots of questions. You can also check out our comprehensive school profiles, on OurKids.net.
Before choosing a school, consider what’s important to you, your child, and your family. A wide range of factors will need to be considered. Some of the more important ones may include:
- Your family’s beliefs and values
- Your child’s learning needs and abilities
- Your child’s social and emotional needs
As far as schools themselves go, you may want to consider (among other things):
On this page, we list private schools in Durham, Ontario. Click on a school profile to learn more about it, including how to set up a visit and register your child.