While relatively small, these nations have had a profound impact on the modern world. Shaped by their relationship to the water, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands are seafaring regions that have exported their ways of life through development around the world. On this Carpe Diem journey, we'll explore how these traditional nations now strive to be inclusive to the multicultural communities who call these regions home.
The UK and the Netherlands provide a rich tapestry and landscape to explore the history, the impacts of colonialism, climate change, and many other challenges facing our societies today through a solutions-based focus. Engage with communities proactively seeking holistic and sustainable solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges.
From the renowned and bustling cities of London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Amsterdam to the countryside - this program takes you off the beaten path and connects you to meaningful exchange in the UK & the Netherlands.
- London Calling! Spend a week in this fast-paced multicultural city. Planned activities will embed you into various neighborhoods to explore challenging topics such as multiculturalism, refugees, sustainability, and human rights.
- Trek in Mystical Scotland. Spend an evening in Edinburgh before embarking on a short two-night trek in legendary Scotland.
- In Scotland, head to the famous Ecovillage of Findhorn to experience life in an intentional community and learn how they have successfully integrated water systems, renewable energy, organic farming, and natural building into their daily life.
- Student Directed Travel. Leverage the travel experience you’ve gained over the first month (and the advice of your Overseas Educators) during Carpe Diem's signature "student travel week."
- Spend some time in the Dutch countryside, famed for its windmills and cows, as you experience sustainable living in a Dutch Ecovillage. From growing your own food to natural building, see how the Dutch view community life and holistic solutions.