An immersive gap year experience combining a group travel semester and an individual volunteer placement, Latitudes Year is the full-year option for students who want to go deeper in their independent travel journey. As a Latitudes Year student, you’ll spend your first semester traveling on one of our group semesters. During your second semester, you’ll have the opportunity to deepen your educational experience with an independent volunteer placement.
You’ll work with a specific organization and community that reflects your unique interests and develop meaningful relationships with your host community. Along the way, you’ll develop confidence, and independence, and enrich your worldview. Previous placements have included scuba certification while protecting coral reefs in Southern Thailand, working with wildlife in Belize, or participating in conservation efforts in Central America. Carpe Diem’s experienced coordinator works with you to develop a unique program to match your goals.
- 1st Semester: Join a group semester in Southeast Asia, the South Pacific, Europe, South America, Central America, Hawai'i, or India & Nepal
- 2nd Semester: Work with our coordinator to craft a Focused Volunteer Placement (FVP) in a region of the world that reflects your goals and interests
- Contribute wholeheartedly: Dive in deeper on a topic that interests you and learn by doing as you contribute to a new community in the field of your choice
- Become an experienced traveler: Develop your travel skills during your first semester, guided by your peers and Overseas Educators
- Uniquely crafted for you: As an independent traveler, build meaningful relationships with your host community, gain independence, and expand your cultural awareness through immersive experiences
Length: 1 group semester + 1 independent semester
September 20 – November 29
December – January
Online Virtual Orientation with your Latitudes Year Coordinator prior to your FVP
Focused Volunteer Placement
January – April 2025