About this course
The Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) is a standardized test focused on verbal, math, and reading skills. This course focuses on the math portion of the test and aims to prepare students for the middle level SSAT. The course covers a wide range of topics including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data interpretation. Students will also get many opportunities to practice on sample test which will be graded by the instructor and returned to students for review.
What you'll learn
The course is broken down into 6 distinct units.
- Unit 1 Introduction to the SSAT (0.5 week): Students will get introduced to the SSAT and the logistics of how the test is conducted and graded. Course resources will also be given to students along with tutorials on how they are used.
- Unit 2 Arithmetic (3.5 weeks): This unit focuses on arithmetic and the fundamental techniques/rules pertaining to working with numbers. Topics include order of operations, fractions, decimals, percentages, integers, exponents, ratios and much more.
- Unit 3 Algebra (4 weeks): Here students will learn about algebra and how to solve problems using algebra. Topics include variables, expressions, equations, inequalities and solving equations.
- Unit 4 Geometry (3 weeks): In this unit, students will explore the fundamental properties of various polygons and learn how to quantitively analyze basic shapes.
- Unit 5 Probability, statistics and data analysis (3 weeks): This unit will teach students how to quantitatively analyze data and compute probabilities. Along the way students will learn about mean, median, mode, range and a variety of charts/graphs.
- Unit 6 Review and practice (2 weeks): This last units brings it all together and gives students a chance to work on practice sample test from start to finish. During this time, students will have the opportunity to see how much they have learned and ask for help on topics they are struggling with.
Materials & Homework
- Students must have access to a computer with a strong internet connection.
- A working microphone and webcam are required.