This is a 16 week course designed to give students in Grade 7 and 8 the fundamental skills required for success in the Grade 9 English Curriculum. The lessons are led by qualified teachers and classes are interactive. There is a maximum of 12 students in a class and the program is offered virtually (delivered using the Zoom Platform and Google Classroom).
The course will incorporate units of study providing a foundation in each strand of the English curriculum which students will encounter in Grade 9 English. The course comprises of four units:
- Short Stories - Three short stories will be covered during this part of the course. Each story is designed to cover the elements of plot, theme and character.
- Novel Study - A short novel will be assigned at the beginning of the course which will be the focus of this unit. The analysis of the novel will cover the elements particular to a novel as distinct from a short story. This unit will culminate in an Independent Study Unit which includes written and oral components.
- Poetry - This part of the course will cover concepts of figurative language and analysis.
- Advanced Essay Writing - Building on skills taught in previous POW courses, this unit will teach skills specific to writing a Literary Essay of 500-600 words. The essay will be written on topics related to the novel studied in Unit 2
In addition, an Independent Study Unit (ISU) will be introduced at the beginning of the course. A choice of novels will be offered to students. Their ISU will include the following activities related to the novel students have chosen:
- Summary notes on plot, character and theme
- A poem to illustrate a theme found in their chosen novel
- An activity to involve the class which teaches students something about the novel.
- An oral presentation to the class to highlight their chosen novel