Each of our camps are high-energy, hands-on learning, and include a broad exposure to a variety of topics in science, engineering, technology and math (STEM).
York University's Spark Lab Programs are week-long sessions designed for students in grades 9 to 12 who want more hands-on science. Using experiment-based learning, students explore physics, biology, chemistry and coding through lab work. Escape the traditional classroom and learn science by doing science. Programs run from 9:30am to 3:30pm daily, for four- or five-days depending on the week. Each session will allow participants to be involved in hands-on experiments, participate in mentor visits, and experience working in a university environment.
Grab your lab coats and your goggles when you join us for Catalytic Chemistry! Students will explore the esterification process, learn about chemical equilibria, conduct chemiluminescence experiments, and more! From generating solar energy to gel electrophoresis, students will get the opportunity to investigate practical applications of chemistry in one of York University’s laboratories.
Science Engagement Programs offer innovative and engaging programs designed to inspire youth and discover exciting topics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Our programs use a discovery and inquiry-based learning approach with a focus on ‘learning by doing’. Our outreach model provides students with a chance to work in small groups on a variety of projects. This model helps foster problem solving, critical thinking, and an overall passion for STEM.
Testimonials about our in-person programs:
- Without exaggeration, this was a life changing week for our daughter. She arrived with a curious spark about science and left with a brightly burning passion. Her instructors Vanessa and Joey inspired her like no other educators. She would leave camp totally energized. Some nights she spent 2 hours recreating her day and sharing what she had learned. Then she would spend another couple of hours researching sigma and pi bonds, chemical reactions and brainstorming ideas for next year's science fair.
This was the summer camp she had been wanting her whole life to be part of. It wouldn't surprise me if years from now she will look back on this week and the impact it had on her.
- My daughter's main focus is dance. It's all she cares about. Wasn't sure how she much she would enjoy Mini Med. She was hooked from the first day. It was refreshing to hear her talk about everything she learned and how much fun she had!
- This program is a chance for my child to do and learn more. The school system limits children; it doesn’t allow them to fly. We all look for programs that give our young ones wings.
- A mix of hands-on experience and lectures, this unique introduction to the medical field beats all our expectations! It is one-of-a-kind, this seems to be the only camp that really talks about medicine and sciences which is fantastic!
Coming home from camp, my children go on and on about what they've learned and they talk about how they can discuss science with counselors who are studying science in university. My children will continue to delve into their science interests every summer with York University's camps.
- My son told me that it was easy to make friends at this camp and that he learned something new that he never did before everyday. The teachers and volunteers have a lot to do with the success of this camp. I found them so enthusiastic and keen as well as knowledgeable, approachable and caring with the kids. Thank you.