BC schools for ADHD
Find private schools in BC offering ADHD support. Schools listed below.
British Columbia offers many resources to help children with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), including private schools for special needs. At BC ADHD schools, instructors or education aids have extensive training in dealing with students with ADHD, also known as ADD (attention deficit disorder), and in supporting unique learning disabilities.
A Brief Overview of ADHD
The ratio of students with ADHD may be up to one in 20, according to The National Institute of Mental Health in the U.S. The disorder causes children to have poor or short attention spans, makes it difficult to focus and sometimes it is behind unruly behaviour. In past generations, parents may have mistaken children with ADHD for being "stupid," but current research explains that they are actually more likely to have above average intelligence.
Other ADHD symptoms
ADHD Canada lists many of ADHD's signs, such as:
- excessive daydreaming or climbing
- poor concentration
- sleeping problems
- prone to accidents
Finding BC ADHD schools
ADHD schools are not one monolithic category. Rather, they encompass many different types of schools. In British Columbia, these include: traditional, alternative, Waldorf, Montessori, arts, Reggio-inspired, special needs, and troubled teens. By taking the time for research, you can find a school that will best help your child with his or her ADHD and in which he or she will thrive.
Applying to any private or independent school means that you will have to fill out an application and usually answer questions in an in-person interview. Use as much detail as you possibly can during the application process to help the school determine if it can cater to your child's unique needs. More importantly, merely getting into private school is not nearly as important as finding the right school. The administrators need to decide if there is a match.
The Affordability of Private School Tuition
Many parents worry about how they will pay for a private school tuition. While it may seem overwhelming, there are numerous ways to help you finance your child's private school education (see the 18 Tips for Paying for Private School). For instance, you may receive a medical tax break if you send your child to a school for students with special needs.
Advantages of private schools for ADHD children
- The location of your home is unimportant, as you may enroll your child in any area you want.
- The private school application process is thorough, so the school will know whether there is a fit.
- Private schools have small class sizes, so they recognize each student's strengths and weaknesses and then teach to his or her needs. This individualistic strategy is necessary for students with ADHD, as the disorder has different symptoms in each of its patients.
- In B.C., private and independent schools typically offer extra help outside of class. Such attention is crucial for children with ADHD, as they usually fall behind academically.
Series: Special Needs Schools
- What is a special needs school?
- How do special needs schools support students?
- What are the main pros and cons of special needs schools?
- What makes for the best special needs school?
- Physical disability schools
- Developmental disability schools
- Special needs schools in Ontario
- Special needs schools in Toronto
- Special needs schools in Ottawa
Special needs schools
- Special needs schools
- Learning disabilities schools
- Physical disabilities schools
- Behavioural and emotional disorder schools
- Developmental disabilities schools
- ADHD schools
- ADHD schools in the USA
- Toronto ADHD schools
- Ontario ADHD schools
- Alberta schools for ADHD
- Quebec schools for ADHD
- Private ADHD schools in Calgary