Using a combination of mechanical, electrical and software engineering, learn how to design, assemble and program a robot, using your own Arduino microcontroller.
Few things are more gratifying than building something for yourself. throughout the course, students will learn how to build and program a robot using Arduino afterward they’ll take it home!
This course provides a great introduction to the world of robotics and electrical engineering. Students will move from basic programming and electronic circuit concepts to building the robot and exploring each sensor and actuator’s capabilities by programming with Arduino to perform automated tasks. The couse finishes with a selection of two final challenges: a maze navigation course and a balloon pop battle!
By the end of this course:
Students will be able to…
- program in Arduino
- explain signal processing
- build electronic circuits
- troubleshoot errors and solve logical problems
Students will create…
- a robot that performs autonomous tasks
- unique code that they understand
- designs for robot improvement and test courses
- an Arduino programmable robot
This course is one of our flagship Tech Camp experiences, infused with hands-on, project-based learning, designed to equip students with 21st-century technology skills. Students will engage in real-world problem solving and collaborate with fellow students to create solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems.
- Laptop or desktop computer running Windows or macOS that meets the minimum specifications of the hardware and software listed below.
- Built-in or external microphone
- Built-in or external speakers or headphones
- Google Chrome browser
- Additional computer screen/monitor (recommended)
- Sparkfun Inventor’s Kit for Redbot
(Note: All Online program participants must purchase this product directly from the supplied prior to the start of the course. If you are attending an in-person course, this product will be provided as part of your registration fee)
- Glue Gun with Glue Sticks
- Popsicle sticks
- Duct Tape
- Electrical tape
- Sewing Needles
- Large Balloons
- Bulletin Board Paper
- Nerf Balls
- Red solo cups
- Crayola markers
- Post-it Wall Pad
Join us on the beautiful campus of The University of British Columbia for an immersive on-campus learning experience. Outside of your course-specific lesson times, you will have the opportunity to tour the campus and gain a better understanding of life after high school.