Sylvan Learning Centres offer professional tutoring, academic enrichment programs, and EDGE and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) camps for students of all abilities and levels, from JK to Grade 12. These programs have numerous appealing features.
- Academically enriched daily and weekly activities
- Highly interactive and adaptive to student needs
- Age-appropriate games, challenges, and team assignments
- Designed and led by certified teachers
- High quality instruction, with small groups and low student-to-instructor ratios
- Full and half day options
Sylvan Edge camps
Sylvan Edge camps offer engaging learning programs and a fun environment. These camps have sessions in the summer, winter, as well as the winter break and spring break. They focus on a variety of skills, for instance, STEM skills, study skills, and early reading skills, that can help your child excel in school and beyond.
Sylvan Learning Centres offer numerous EDGE and STEM camps. These include the following:
Robotics (Grades 1-6): Children learn how to build and program a variety of robots using LEGO® bricks and award-winning software. Along the way, they learn new skills, makes friends, and have a blast. (There’s something special about building with LEGO® that makes robotics camp a blast.)
Coding (Grades 3-8): Children design their own video games and computer animation. This can be a great way to introduce your child to 21st century skills, such as programming, problem solving, and logic. By the end of camp, they will design a video game they can play with friends. This is great fun and educational!
Engineering (Grades 1-6): Children will turn into a real engineer: designing, evaluating, and redesigning machines and superstructures. (The creations get more and more amazing!) Every project has a clever theme to spark children’s imagination and turn problem solving and skill building into a fun game.
Study skills (Grades 4-12): As a child’s workload and responsibilities go up, a study camp can help their stress go down. In this program, your child will learn how to manage their time, get more organized, carefully plan projects, and achieve their goals.
Early reading (Pre-K-K): Looking for ways to get your preschooler or kindergartener ready for elementary school? Using a child-friendly combination of interactive lessons, fun games, and expert teachers, the early reading Edge camp can help your child master the basics of reading.
Algebra (Grades 6-9): This camp uses an engaging mix of activities to build and improve your child’s math skills.
Writing (Grades 4-9): From writing movie reviews to crafting web copy, children learn a wide variety of creative writing techniques in this camp. They’ll also build up a pretty comprehensive writing portfolio.
What truly sets Sylvan apart is their ability to partner with your family and guide you through every step of your child’s academic journey. Here’s a look at their full range of programs.
Beginning reading: Designed for the reader who needs instruction in basic reading skills, this program helps students develop skills in phonics, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Reading: Students are helped to develop both the basic skills and the higher-level critical thinking skills they need to be more confident and proficient readers—and ultimately, better overall students.
Math: Math help is offered for elementary through high school math students. Students learn basic skills, as well as problem solving skills and math understanding needed for success in every math class and beyond. Sylvan content addresses skills needed in traditional algebra and geometry courses, as well as integrated math courses. Their teachers are skilled in the new ways that math is taught in schools.
Academic writing: Designed to improve writing skills, this program teaches the process approach to writing paragraphs, letters, and essays. It stresses the fundamentals of capitalization, punctuation, and sentence building. Your son or daughter will also develop and sharpen editing skills.
Study skills: Every student in grades 4-8 can benefit from this program. Students learn effective study techniques, organizational skills, time management skills, and test-taking strategies. This program includes reading and listening skills, as well as outlining, note-taking, and test-taking strategies needed for success in high school and beyond.
Five advantages of Sylvan programs
(1) Learning is personalized. Your child isn’t one-dimensional. The way he or she learns shouldn’t be either! That’s why Sylvan offers diverse academic programs. This ensures your child is learning in the way that works best for him or her—at the right pace, in the right style, with the right skills.
(2) Kids are engaged at a deeper level. True learning—the kind that makes children smarter and more excited—requires a personal approach that truly engages kids in learning. Tutoring programs start with an in-depth assessment to understand your child’s academic strengths, weaknesses, beliefs, and behaviors. This is followed with the creation of a personal learning plan that’s unique to your child. Dedicated teachers guide your child and adjust their pace to your child’s skills. They also measure and reward progress to get results and keep your child engaged.
(3) They deliver great results. Sylvan measures academic achievement in a systematic manner across all centers. In general, students achieve tremendous growth in their math and reading scores.
(4) They make an impact in the classroom. Certified teachers do more than instruct. They challenge and inspire your child—and they’re experts at doing so. Sylvan teachers are well versed in local curriculum, and their curriculum aligns with provincial standards. You can be sure that what your son or daughter learns will make a big difference in school!
(5) They grow with your child. As your child progresses through school, your needs will evolve. It's important to:
• Help your child develop strategic skills and effective study habits that can make him or her a much better student.
• Give your child access to fun, hands-on experiences with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) that offer an edge for 21st-century careers.
• Better prepare your child for university admissions and success in university.
Sylvan can partner with your family and guide you through every step of your child’s academic journey.