AI camps near you
Artificial intelligence is a blossoming field of study in computer science. For this reason, camps with AI curriculum and activities are emerging across the country. Use the advanced search on OurKids.net to find AI camps in a city or region near you, including the areas listed below.
Alternatives to summer camp
For those interested in artificial intelligence, there are other options besides summer camp. Kids and teens can learn about AI throughout the year. This includes after-school, evening, and weekend programs. Below, discover more options.
Other camps you might look at
Artificial intelligence is one among a rapidly expanding list of education and technology camps. If your child is interested in this field, you might also look into the following:
Computer camps build overall computer and technology skills through focused instruction and activities.
Coding camps and classes are ideal for teens and older kids who are interested in the broader world of programming.
Engineering camps provide in-depth instruction in engineering, a critical aspect of the computer sciences, but also a much broader field, with many diverse applications.
Robotics camps teach and develop interest, skills, and knowledge in robotics and related technologies.
STEM camps focus on the approach to learning that combines science, technology, engineering, and math.
Skills learned at artificial intelligence camps
Artificial intelligence camps enable kids to acquire crucial knowledge and skills. This can be useful in school, especially during the high school years. It can also provide a foundation for post-secondary studies in the area of computers. These skills have value beyond computer science, though.
Skills and knowledge your child will likely acquire at an AI camp:
The basics of computer science and related fields
- One or more programming languages
- The applications and value of these languages
- The application of AI
- Machine learning
- Building an AI product
Depending on the level and focus of the camp, your child may also learn other things.
More specialized topics
- Data science
- Neural networks
- Virtual reality
- Cognitive science
- General intelligence
- Social intelligence
- Natural language processing
- Knowledge representation
- History of AI
- Ethics of AI
Other benefits of AI camps
As mentioned, artificial intelligence camps help kids acquire essential knowledge and skills in AI and related fields. This can open up your child’s future learning and developmental pathways, no matter their age.
Besides this, there are several other potential perks of these camps. They include:
Potential careers trajectories of artificial intelligence camps
Artificial intelligence camps offer curricula that are updated every year and stay current in the rapidly changing world of technology. They provide kids with flexible learning options and can provide a solid foundation for their secondary and post-secondary education.
This can also open the door to many potential jobs and career paths. This includes careers in computer science more generally as well as careers in specific fields in AI.
General computer-related careers
- Computer scientist
- Information technologist
- Computer technician
- Computer networker
- Web developer
- Web designer
Specific AI-related careers with average salary (source: payscale.com)
- Artificial intelligence specialist: $113,000 CAD
- Artificial intelligence software engineer: $60,000 CAD
- Technical architect: $120,000 CAD
- Data scientist: $125,000 CAD
- Machine learning researcher: $115,000 CAD
- Research scientist: $85,000 CAD
- Research engineer: $90,000 CAD
Choosing the right artificial intelligence camp for your child
What’s the best way to choose the right AI camp for your child? First, think more seriously about your child: their age, experience, interests, and goals.
- What is your child’s background in computer science and AI? Are they just getting started or do they have extensive experience?
- Is your child aiming to just learn the basics of AI? Or are they looking to take an important step towards a career in this field?
- Do they want to focus on a specific area of AI, such as machine learning or natural language representation? Or are they looking to acquire a more general foundation?
- Are they more interested in artificial intelligence theory or applications?
- Do they want to build an AI product? If so, what kind?
Then, of course, you should look closely at camps themselves. Talk to directors and staff, and visit camps if possible. Find out as much as you can about each camp to gauge whether it’s right for your child.
Here are some key questions you’ll want to ask:
- What courses/programs do you offer?
- What level (e.g., introductory, intermediate, advanced) are they at?
- What exactly do they cover?
- What skills can I expect my child to come away with?
- What qualifications and training do the instructors have?
- What facilities and equipment do you use?
For further guidance on choosing the right camp for your child, find helpful sources on OurKids.net:
Find out more about AI
Finally, to learn more about artificial intelligence, consult the following sources:
Builtin.com: What is Artificial Intelligence?
SAS: Artificial intelligence
ZD.net: What is AI?