Why go to a US camp?
US camps, like Canadian camps, offer a wide range of possibilities. They have both day and overnight options. They also offer traditional and specialty programs. And they can focus on sports, arts, and education, among other things. For instance, in the US, there are tennis, swimming, martial arts, dance, acting, science, and ESL camps.
If you’re a Canadian, a US camp offers your child a special opportunity to expand their horizons. Your child will live in a different country and be part of a new community. They’ll make new friends and connect with different people.
For many kids, this means stepping out of one’s comfort zone. And this can be very beneficial. It can lead to growth and maturity. It can also boost one’s confidence and self-esteem.
Finding the right US camp
Many of the things you should look for in a US camp are similar to what you would look for in any type of camp. Most importantly, as a parent, you’ll want to make sure you find the right fit for your child. To do so, you’ll need to reflect on a number of questions about a camp:
- Location: is it in an appealing place?
- Cost: is it within your budget?
- Environment: are you looking for a city or rural camp?
- Duration: are you looking for a short-stay or long-term camp?
- Size: are you looking for a big or small camp?
- Values and philosophy: are you looking for a religious, leadership, or health and fitness camp?
On the other hand, if your child is Canadian (or from any country other than the US), there are some special questions you’ll need to consider. They include the following:
- Is your child ready for a sleepover camp?
- Will your child be going to camp with anyone they know? If not, are they okay with this?
- Does your child need special documentation for camp (a visa, passport, insurance, etc.)?
- How will your child get to camp?
- Is your child interested in American culture?
Finding a camp in the US (or elsewhere)
To learn more about how to find the right camp for your child, read our choosing guide. For the ultimate checklist on choosing a good camp, read our ebook.