Vision – OFIS connects independent schools in a network by promoting standard-setting leadership, advocates for access to government educational resources, protects and supports parental choice in education and encourages public awareness for the contributions of member schools
1. OFIS connects member schools in a network that shares resources, provides professional development and offers administrative and policy development support
2. OFIS advocates for access to government educational resources for member independent schools and guards against unnecessary government interference
3. OFIS protects and supports true parental choice in education by providing regular public information on member schools and ensuring member schools’ right to reasonable self-definition
4. OFIS encourages public awareness and appreciation for the contributions of member schools to the province by promoting standard-setting leadership in member schools
Core Values – Membership in OFIS is open to all schools, educational associations and individuals who agree with and support true parental choice in education and desire to develop greater integrity through standard-setting leadership in schools, and so covenant to undertake and actively work towards the following core values:
1. We value the importance of providing transparent vision, mission & values, supported by an educational philosophy and objectives.
2. We value the importance of hiring proven and qualified instructors and administrators, who agree to uphold and deliver upon the school’s stated vision, mission & values promised to families and students.
3. We value diversity in published and applied policies with respect to race, colour, creed, ethnicity and ability.
4. We value open disclosure and implementation of clearly developed, published policies and procedures on all school operational issues including admissions, education standards, student assessment, human resources, evaluation & reporting practices, sound financial practices, withdrawal, suspension & expulsion.
5. We value effective classroom management strategies, orderly curricular scope & sequence planning and accurate record keeping resulting in on-going improvement in student knowledge, ability and achievement.
6. We value sound administrative and personnel management practices, which include strategic planning, policy development, clearly defined job descriptions, performance-based job reviews and professional development.
7. We value financial accountability through sound financial practices, prudent financial management, transparent budget preparation and reporting practices and short and long-term financial planning.
8. We value ethical conduct through fair business practices, clear and published school policies & procedures about expectations of all members of school communities (staff, parents, teachers, students, donors).
9. We value legal compliance through knowledge of, and adherence to, all applicable municipal, regional, provincial and federal legislation and regulations, ensuring an orderly, purposeful, and safe school environment.
10. We value a cooperative spirit through a demonstrated acceptance of, respect for, and a practiced commitment to fellow independent education providers in OFIS and beyond.