Summer camps for kids with special needs
Supporting kids with unique challenges
Summer camps for children with special needs are designed to provide extra help for kids requiring physical, emotional, behavourial or medical support.
Whether the camp provides support staff or asks parents to have someone familiar and experienced attend and work closely with their child, families can rest assured that staff will be attentive to their needs as well as provide them an encouraging and fun environment to learn, grow and engage.
Why attend a special needs camp?
Kids who attend these kinds of specialty camps have the extra comfort and confidence of being with peers who have similar experiences and staff who understand their specific needs to fully support them and ensure an enjoyable time at camp.
Find the right special needs camp
When searching for a special needs camp, start by researching the location, programs, and other specifications that are important to your family and your child ahead of time. Some camps integrate children with certain needs, others are wholly focused on assisting the camper and their facilities are adapted for their well-being.
Other questions you may like to consider asking include:
- Does the camp focus on a certain need or a range of special needs?
- Would your child be comfortable with a day or overnight camp?
- What is the staff to camper ratio?
- What accreditations does the camp have and what credentials do the staff have?
- Are the campers grouped by age or needs?
- What type of medical staff are on hand?
- What kind of focused programs and additional services does the camp offer that could benefit your child?
Once you have a short list of camps, speak with the camp director, staff and parents of other campers if possible about their experiences. If it’s feasible, plan to visit the camp ahead of time so you and your family can ask questions and get a feel for the environment firsthand.
For additional information on special needs camps, please take a closer look at our listings below.