How did your son or daughter’s Alberta elementary school rank in the Fraser Institute’s 2014 report?
The Fraser Institute ranks schools and allows parents, students and educators to compare them by compiling important information on educational performance in a public “report card” each year. This rankings on the report card are based on general criteria such as trends of academic improvement, ratio of unwritten tests, and how well the curriculum fits the school’s socioeconomic demographic, as well as nine specific indicators. These nine markers include a variety of different tests in grades three and nine, which cover several different subjects. These nine indicators serve to provide insight into the teaching quality and gender gap of the school, and are added up into an overall score out of 10, which is then compared to other schools.
The Institute seeks to help parents find a school that fits their child, help struggling schools and pinpoint subject areas in which students succeed in order to help educators rework curricula where students need more attention through its rankings.
“The report card also includes important information about each school’s make-up, including parents’ average income, the percentage of ESL students, and the percentage of special needs students,” the Institute notes. This information generally does not negatively single out a particular group, but is a testament to the fact that improvement is possible everywhere.
The report not only shows improvement, but also highlights the top schools in the province. Take a look at the top 20 ranked elementary schools and the most improved list below:
Top Alberta Elementary Schools with a rating of 9.0 or higher
- Mount Pleasant (Edmonton) – 10.0 (2012-2013), 9.9 (Last 5 years)
- Webber Academy (Calgary) – 10.0, 9.9
- Clear Water Academy (Calgary), 10.0, 9.8
- Master’s (Calgary) – 9.9, 9.5
- St. Philip (Calgary) – 9.8, 9.2
- Stratford (Edmonton) – 9.7, 9.4
- Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School (Okotoks) – 9.7, 9.4
- Windsor Park (Edmonton) – 9.6, 9.5
- Westmount (Calgary) – 9.6, n/a
- Rundle College (Calgary) – 9.4, 9.1
- Grandview Heights (Edmonton) – 9.3, 9.1
- Sunalta (Calgary) – 9.2, 9.5
- Capitol Hill (Calgary) – 9.2, 8.2
- Meyokumin (Edmonton) – 9.2, 8.1
- St. William (Calgary) – 9.2, n/a
- St. Joan of Arc (Calgary) – 9.1, 8.8
- George P. Nicholson (Edmonton) – 9.1, 8.1
- Lansdowne (Edmonton) – 9.1, 7.4
- Calgary French & International (Calgary) – 9.0, 9.3
- Dr. E. W. Coffin (Calgary) – 9.0, 8.9